Finger Cymbal Solo for Belly Dancers
by Anthea Kawakib Poole
(Published in ZAGHAREET! magazine, Sept/Oct 2010).
My step-by-step instruction for this
short and easy Finger Cymbal Solo is on Youtube.
You can use my Raks
Sagat Playlist to learn this unique dance on your own
- even beginners can learn the dance combinations! The
Playlist includes a breakdown of the steps and movements,
then adds the cymbals; written notes are below. This is a
wonderful way to learn cymbal patterns from simple to
complex, plus decorations!
Choreography notes © Anthea Kawakib
NOTE: Each numbered sequence in the
choreography states whether the pattern starts ON the beat,
or BEFORE the beat with the “Arabic Chain” +a
- #1 (ON). Entrance - at least 2
measures (8 counts) or more to enter your performance
space. The cymbal pattern for your entrance is DOUBLES.
- #2 (ON). The next 4 measures (16
counts) uses ROLLS that stop on ct. 4 of each measure.
- #3 (BEFORE). 1 measure of 7 - 7 (this
is just like the “7" from your 3-3-7 pattern, without
- #4 (BEFORE). 1 measure: 3 - clap, 3 -
- Repeat the two previous measures
(sequences #3 and 4); that makes a 16-count sequence.
- #5a (ON). 1 measure: 5 - 5
- #5b (ON). 1 measure: 5 - 3 - clap
- Repeat the two previous measures (#5a
& 5b) to make a total of 16 counts.
- #6 (ON). 1 measure: clap clap - 3 - 3
- Repeat the above measure 3 more times
to make a total of 16 counts (4 measures). This is the
most challenging combination so I’ll give you a hint on
timing: the claps are on beledi accents, but the
choreography is not, it’s on a “straight 4/4" that is,
regular timing. Since it is a rather challenging
movement, the video clip offers both easy and advanced
- #7 (ON). 1 measure: beledi pattern.
- #8 (ON). 1 measure: ROLLS until count
4 (as in sequence #2)
- Repeat the above 2 measures (#7 and
#8) to make a total of 16 counts.
- #9 (ON). 1 measure: Triplets
(stopping on count 4, like sequence #8, above).
- #10 (ON). 1 measure: Flip - clap -
Flip - clap
- Repeat the above 2 measures (#9 and
#10) to make a total of 16 counts.
- #11 (ON). 1 measure: 1 - Flip - 1 -
Flip - Double (the first flip ends on the beat, the
second flip starts on the beat).
- Sequence #11 is the last sequence -
the Ending - of the dance. Repeat the above measure
(#11) four times total, but STOP on the 3rd count of the
4th measure (4th repeat) with a Clap (by both hands).
That will be count 15. And Exit.
VIDEO: Kawakib teaching
the short and easy Finger Cymbal Solo